You do not need to have a stove to cook healthy meals. Whether you are a trucker, college student or live on the run and tired of eating fast food, you can eat healthily by cooking in the microwave.
All you need is a microwave, microwave cooking ware and of course, the ingredients for your meal. Once you have all of these items, here are 5 easy microwave recipes you can try that are easy, quick and tasty.
Mediterranean Fish with Green Beans, Tomatoes, and Olives
Prep time: 8 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 ounce pitted olives, thinly sliced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless flounder or tilapia fillets, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Toss green beans, tomatoes, olives, garlic, wine, oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper in baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, poke a small hole in the center, and microwave on high 3 minutes. Remove from microwave, uncover, and stir.
- Season fish on both sides with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper, then arrange over green bean mixture in baking dish. Top each fillet with 2 thyme sprigs. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 2 1/2 minutes.
- Check if fish is opaque; if not, continue microwaving at 20-second intervals. Remove from microwave and let sit, covered, 2 minutes. Enjoy
Steamed Tilapia with Lemon & Garlic Broccoli
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5-8 min
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Broccoli – 1 large head, chopped can be replaced with 1 bag precooked frozen broccoli
- Butter – 4 Tbsp.
- ½ Lemon juiced
- 250g Tilapia fillet
- 2 Sprig thyme
- Season fish on both sides with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper, then arrange in baking dish. Top each fillet with 2 sprig thyme and lf tsp. butter. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 2 1/2 minutes.
- Check if fish is opaque; if not, continue microwaving at 20-second intervals. Remove when completed
- Place broccoli, garlic, and butter in a microwave safe container or a glass Pyrex dish. Add 2 Tbsp. of water and sprinkle with salt. Cover with a lid or wet paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Cook until broccoli is tender but still crunchy. When done, add a squeeze of lemon juice and toss so that the melted butter coats it all.
- Served with Tilapia and enjoy
Tuna Sweet Potato Jackets
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 4 Small sweet potatoes
- Canned tuna in water or brine; drained
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1small red chili; deseed and chopped
- Juice 1 lime/ ½ tsp lime juice
- 6 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- Handful coriander leaves
- Scrub Sweet potatoes and pricked all over with a fork. Place on a microwaveable plate and cook on high for 18-20 minutes, or until tender. Split in half and place each one, cut side up on a serving plate.
- Flake the drained tuna with a fork and divide between the sweet potatoes. Top with red onion and chili, and then squeeze over with the lime juice. Top with a dollop of yogurt and scatter over coriander to serve.
Easy stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 4 Red peppers
- 2 Pouches cooked tomato rice
- 1 lb. or 250g tilapia
- 2 Tbsp. pesto
- Handful black olives chopped
- 1 small block/250g Goat cheese sliced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. sriracha Sauce (optional)
- Season Tilapia with salt and pepper, wrap in microwave safe cling wrap and cook on high in microwave for 2-3 minutes or until slightly opaque. Remove from microwave and sit aside until cool to touch and then flake. Remainder of cooking time will be done in peppers.
- Use a small knife to cut the top out of 4 bell pepper, and then scoop out seeds. Sit the pepper on a plate, cut side up, and cook in microwave on high for 5-6 minutes until they have wilted and softened.
- While peppers are cooking, mix two pouches of cooked tomato rice together with 2 Tbsp. pesto, a handful of chopped pitted black olives, ¾ of sliced goat cheese and flaked Tilapia and sriracha (optional)
- Scoop the rice, pesto, olives Tilapia and goat cheese mix into peppers, top with the remaining ¼ sliced goat cheese and continue to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from microwave after elapsed time and enjoy
Soy Salmon Noodles
- 1 salmonfillet (about 4½oz)
- 2 tbsp. orange juice, fresh or from concentrate
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 nest of noodles(about 2¼oz)
- 2 tbsp. frozen peas
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds(optional)
- Put the salmon in a microwaveable bowl. Pour over the orange juice and soy sauce and drizzle over the honey. Microwave for 4 minutes, turning halfway through. Rest in the microwave for a minute before removing, taking care as it might spit.
- Put the noodles in a microwaveable bowl, cover with boiling water and microwave for 5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Add the peas and set aside for a few minutes until the peas have defrosted. Drain the water.
- Place the salmon on top of the noodles and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with spring onions and sesame seeds, if using.